Subscribe to our e-Alerts!November
Whitt’s Class Notes
6th Grade Social Studies
- This marking period we are learning about geography. More specifically, we are studying the world based on the Five Themes of Geography:
- Human Environment Interaction
- Students chose a country to research and created a slide presentation based on the themes of geography!
- We are also working on our map skills. We are using latitude and longitude to locate places around the world. We are finishing up a fun map project. Students have created their own amusement park maps using all the elements of a map.
- Next marking period, we will begin a unit on Rome. We will analyze the rise and fall of Rome and understand how ancient Rome compares to the United States today.
7th Grade Social Studies
- This marking period we have learned to read like historians. We have just finished studying about the earliest Americans. Students have learned about the Aztecs, Mayans, and Incas through the use of hyperdocs.
- We have just started a unit on European explorers. This week we are reading articles and primary source documents on Christopher Columbus. We will decide for ourselves whether he discovered America. Students will write a persuasive essay discussing whether he should be celebrated as an American hero.
- Next marking period we will begin a unit on the 13 colonies.
8th Grade Social Studies
- We are in the process of finishing up the American Revolution. We have read about the Declaration of Independence and our founding fathers. We wrote persuasive essays arguing whether Thomas Jefferson was a hypocrite or just a man of his times. The students did an amazing job! Be sure to check out the essays at conferences! Students have also learned about the many battles of the Revolution by creating a map of each battle using “google my maps.” They are really becoming technology gurus!
- Next marking period we will begin to analyze the United States Constitution.
BEGIN WITH THE END IN MIND!!!!FOCUS AND PREPARATION MAKE LEARNING EASIER! LET'S ALL GIVE OUR BEST EFFORT AT ALL TIMES!!Mrs. Whitt's CONTACT INFORMATION
Topics being discussed:8th: American Revolution7th: First Americans6th: World GeographyHomework Policy: Homework is expected to be turned in on the due date. If not, 10 points will be deducted per day. If homework is a week late half credit will be given. Beyond a week late, the grade will be zero.1. BE KIND TO YOUR CLASSMATES! TREAT OTHERS AS YOU WISH TO BE TREATED.2. BE PREPARED FOR CLASS WITH YOUR BOOK, NOTEBOOK, A PEN AND/OR PENCIL, AND YOUR MIND! (ALSO, HIGHLIGHTERS ARE RECOMMENDED FOR EFFECTIVE NOTE-TAKING.)3. MAKE SURE ALL WORK IS COMPLETED NEAT, ON TIME, AND WITH YOUR BEST EFFORT!
Last Modified on October 28, 2018