Welcome Back! 2019-2020 School Year!
School Phone: 732-775-5319
Welcome back!! I am beyond excited to begin a new school year in Middle School Language Arts. This school year we will be implementing Reader and Writers Workshop into our classroom.
In writer’s workshop, each writing period starts with a mini-lesson from the teacher. During this time, the teacher will instruct the whole class on a writing technique that is not just appropriate to that unit of study, but to their life as a writer. Students will have the opportunity to engage this skill while still in a whole group; this is an opportunity for them to try it out before working independently.
- Independent writing is the time when students are working on their own writing. Students work within specific genres, but each individual student generates his/her own ideas.
- The writing process is a major focus in all grades. Students are taught to brainstorm ideas, draft a story, revise and edit that story and publish their writing into a final piece.
- Revision and editing are two areas of the writing process that are emphasized in each unit.
Similar to writing workshop, reading workshop starts with a mini-lesson. TCRWP reading instruction relies on research that shows that children need to read a lot of texts, with high comprehension, in order to become a proficient reader. TCRWP reading workshops are structured to allow for students to read (eyes on print) every day for 30-40 minutes in the reading workshop.
What does this mean for students?
- Choice in Reading
- High Interest Books
- Reading Engagement and Enjoyment
- Learning from Peers
- Reading for Academics
- Build Reading Habits for a Lifetime!
Materials & Supplies:
- 1 or 1 ½ inch binder
- Index Cards
Let’s have an amazing, productive and fun year!!