Welcome Back! 2018-2019 School Year!
7th Grade: 7th grade will begin their new class novel, Devil's Arithmetic, next week. It is another historical fiction book that focuses on the Holocaust. Students will begin their research papers as well which will be based on the Holocaust. Students will learn about research techniques, using reliable sources, MLA format, etc
8th Grade: 8th grade is still working on the Maze Runner. They have also began their research papers. They were able to pick whatever historical or scientific topic that interests them. They have to determine how their topic affects history, society, and literature/media/pop-culture. Students will learn about research techniques, using reliable sources, MLA format, etc
School Phone: 732-775-5319
Welcome to Middle School Language Arts! I am looking forward to a productive and successful school year! To have such a year, you are expected to be an active participant in class. We will focus on analyzing and responding to various genres of literature and authentic texts (non-fiction texts). We will focus on different strategies to help us become stronger readers which ultimately will help us become stronger writers. Be ready to WRITE, WRITE, And WRITE!!
Materials & Supplies:
- 1 or 1 ½ inch binder
- Index Cards
Tests/Projects: (60%) Includes: Tests, projects, major essays, writing assignments.
Classwork/Homework/Participation: (40%) Includes: Notebook & binder checks, journal entries, classwork, and homework
*You will be provided with a participation rubric and be given a participation grade each week. Your participation is the key to your success, which includes: classroom discussions, homework, staying on task, being prepared and having a positive attitude.
- Follow directions the first time they are given.
- Stay on task during all work times.
- Keep hands, feet, and objects to yourself.
- Track the speaker, actively listen, and monitor your voice level.
- Come to class prepared (with homework, novel, and materials).
- Handle all classroom materials carefully.
Positive Behavior: Raffle System
I will be implementing a positive behavior system. You will be given raffle tickets for positive behavior displayed in class. You will write your name on the back of the raffle ticket and place it in your grade level bin. Every week, I will draw 3 raffles from the bin and those students will be able to pick a reward. The more raffles you receive, the better chance of being picked for the reward!
Consequences for Negative Behavior:
- You will be given three opportunities to change your behavior.
- If you do not take the opportunity to change your behavior, you will be given a teacher detention (15 minutes after school with me) and a phone call or e-mail sent home. If you cannot stay for the teacher detention the day it is given, then it will be scheduled for a day that you are available.
- If you receive 3 teacher detentions within a week, you will receive an Office Detention and a phone call home. Office detention is 1 hour.
Let’s have an amazing, productive, and fun year!!